Thursday, May 14, 2015

io9 Concept Art Writing Prompt May 14, 2015




“There’s a little boy down there.”
“What do you mean?”
“What do you think I mean? I mean there’s a little boy down there. On the lake. In a boat. With a dog. What part of the lede was unclear?”
“This area is supposed to be uninhabited.”
“I know what this area is supposed to be. That doesn't change the fact that there is a kid in a boat on a lake sitting directly below us.”
“Well, he can’t be there.”
“How are we still having this conversation? How is this still a thing that is going on? I have instruments both numerous and sinister telling me the fact of this thing, and what do I get from you?”
“Sir.”
“Sorry. What do I get from you, Sir.”
Well, he’ll just have to clear off.”
“Clear off and do what? And tell all the villagers or whatever it is that they have that he just saw a giant machine from the dawn of time just larking about?”
“Sure, why not. Who’s going to believe him. How many did you say?”
“One. Just one. Just one kid, on a boat, in the lake, right there in the middle of the viewer.”
“Your tone is nearing dangerously close to insubordination, my friend.”
“Should I get on the PA? Tell him to clear off, and that nobody would ever believe his tales of great flying canoes or whatever the hell metaphor?”
“Just one?”
“...Yeah.”
“So we could...”
“You’re not going to kill him.”
“I’m sorry, how many stripes do you have?”
“...”
“And how many stripes do I have?”
“You’re not serious. If you kill an indigenous I have to log it.”
“This is where you’re drawing your line in the sand.”
“This or enchilada night. So, I guess, this. Yeah.”
“Well, what’s the cloak set for, then? Angels, or ravens, or something? What does this kid believe in?”
“I don’t know!”
“Well, find out! Numerous and sinister. Paint him something, because I’m just entirely happy with smithereening him all over this lake and getting breakfast. So work quickly. I’m getting a coffee.”
“...”
“What was that?”
“Nothing. Sir.”
“Would you also like a coffee?”
“No, sir. Thank you, sir. I’ll just be here. I’ll get it figured.”
“Good. I’m not having another Ivelor Minor on our hands. Took weeks to get the paperwork sorted."

No comments:

Post a Comment